| Institutions Jerusalem |
Friary in Jerusalem
The presence of a Capuchin friary in Jerusalem was initiated in the early 1930’s in response to an invitation from the the Latin Patriarch, Archbishop Luigi Barlassina. The fact that our friars “went up to Jerusalem” and moved into the Talbiye neighborhood southwest of the Old City is noted explicitly at the end of a letter sent to the whole Order at Easter of 1933 by the Minister General, Father Vigilio da Valstagna. The original goals which motivated acceptance of this missions were multiple:
- performing pastoral work among the several thousand Christians then residing in the vicinity. The original plans called for the construction of a church, but the outbreak of the Second World War and other subsequent challenges delayed the realization of this hope for approximately eight decades.
- establishing a residence for younger confreres from the Levant who would receive their initial formation in the City of David.
- providing hospitality and lodging for Capuchin friars coming to Jerusalem from various geographical areas of the Order in connection with pilgrimages to biblical sites in the Holy Land.
Franciscan Capuchin Monastery
16 Disraeli Street - Talbiye
92222 Jerusalem - Israel
Tel.: +972 2 651 6906
+972 2 651 6907
Fax.: +972 2 651 6905
Site map | Copyright © 2006/2007 OFMCAP - Credits | Webmaster