| News Other news items Latest from the General Definitory |
Latest from the General Definitory
ORVIETO – ROME The fourth plenary session of the year of the General Definitory took place from September 14-25. The first week was spent at our friary in Orvieto reflecting on their service to the Order and on their priorities for the animation of the Order over the next three years. A number of decisions were made during this time of reflection, including the transfer of the General Secretariat for Formation to the General Curia. The transfer aims to send a visible signal to the Order of the importance the General Definitory attaches to the area of initial and ongoing formation. As it happens, the General Secretary for Formation plays an important role in animating the Order, and his presence in the General Curia will facilitate communication with the central administration and with the brothers staffing the various offices and services of the Curia. It was also decided that Br. Rocco Timpano, General Secretary for Formation, would be Chairman of the International Formation Council. The three brothers at present residing at Frascati who will shortly be moving to the Curia (Br. Rocco Timpano, Br. Marek Miszczyński and Br. Piero Erick Véliz Valencia), will be joined by a fourth member of the secretariat in October, Br. Prince Mathew Valiyakunnel, a member of the Province of Saint Joseph-Kerala. As usually happens during Definitory meetings, many other subjects of a juridical and administrative nature which require the opinion or permission of the General Minister and his Council were dealt with. Here are some that may be of general interest:
- Missionary Animation: work is in progress on a circular letter on mission identity. The idea behind the letter is to work towards the renewal of our missionary activity, starting with a reflection intended to encourage the brothers to be more mission-minded, through a total giving of themselves. The letter should be ready by the end of this year.
- SFO: during October Br. Amanuel Mesgun (PR Eritrea), will arrive in Rome to take over from Br.Irudaya Samy as the Delegate of the General Minister for the SFO.
- Jus Commissionis for Kuwait: negotiations are continuing to set up the presence of the Order in Kuwait. Br. Peter Rodgers, area Definitor, visited the Vicars Apostolic of Arabia and Kuwait to make the first contacts and to get an idea of the needs and problems of this new presence of the Order.
- Commission for the Constitutions: Br. Adelino Gabriel Piloneto (PR of Rio Grande do Sul) was appointed as a member of the Commission, after the sudden death of Br. Prudente Lucio Nery.
- Houses dependent on the General Minister: it was decided to set up a small working group to study possibilities for the use of our houses in Roma and Frascati, both dependent on the General Minister, and in particular to assess ways and means of refurbishing the General Curia.
- Jerusalem: re building work on the house is proceeding as planned. The General Bursar and the Legal Representative are keeping a close eye on the progress of the work on a house which will become important as a place of formation and spirituality in the Order. The intention is that the house will be open to brothers and groups of pilgrims from all over the world.
AUDIO IT: General Minister
Site map | Copyright © 2006/2007 OFMCAP - Credits | Webmaster